- We've got stellar workshops for members and non-members alike.
- Our 2013/2014 In Dialogue Reading Series continues with wonderful events in 2014. Check out the details here.
- Free to members, our Blue Pencil Sessions help you hone your craft. Find out more here.
- Want to support Manitoba writing? Consider a financial donation to the Manitoba Writers' Guild. Click here to make a donation.
News & Events
September 24, 2014
September 10, 2014
NEW — Writing for Children class at the MWG!
MWG 5 Week Writing for Children Class
Through the Looking Glass: Writing for Middle Grade and Teen Readers
Whether you have already made steps into the world of writing for children and teens, or are considering wading in, this class will inform you and sharpen your skills. Over five weeks author and editor Anita Daher will show you how to make your story spit, flow, bleed, scratch, glow and generally knock the socks off an editor and reader. You will participate in writing exercises, share your work, and explore elements of writing for differing ages of readers.
Anita Daher is author of ten + books for teens and young readers in Canada and Europe. She has worked on occasion as marketing director, editor, and radio broadcaster, and for seven years was editor at Great Plains Teen Fiction. When not word wrangling she enjoys playing her guitar or ukulele, and instigating things (usually house renos and adventures).
Dates/Time: Tuesdays, September 30 through October 28, 6:30-9 p.m.
Cost: MWG members—$100, non-members—$125
Max Participants: 15
Paypal payments made here:
Or stop by: 218-100 Arthur Street (check office hours)
September 4, 2014
MWG AGM upcoming!
Our 2014 AGM will be held at Cinemateque, on the main floor of the Artspace Building, 100 Arthur Street, on Saturday, October 18th. Arrive at 9:30 for coffee and check-in, and the AGM will commence at 10 a.m. Afterward, delicious refreshments will be served in the lobby, and we’ll recommence in the Cinemateque for entertainment with Aaron Simm, spoken word artist and Artistic Director of the Winnipeg Spoken Word Festival!
August 5, 2014
Welcome Anita Daher, MWG Events Coordinator!
Anita Daher is an accomplished artist and administrator. Check out her website here! Anita will be on board this year organizing the Manitoba Book Awards, our In Dialogue program, and many of our other fundraisers and events — and we couldn’t be more delighted!
June 23, 2014
MWG Job Posting
MANITOBA WRITERS’ GUILD SEEKS EVENTS COORDINATOR
The mission of the Manitoba Writers’ Guild is to encourage, develop, promote and celebrate writers and writing, to support the freedom to write and to read, and to advocate for the well-being of writers.
- To co-ordinate the Manitoba Book Awards and the In Dialogue Reading Series
- To promote these and other MWG events and activities
- The MWG Executive Director
- Working with the Association of Manitoba Book Publishers (AMBP) to administer the Manitoba Book Awards. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Co-ordinating the submission process
- Selecting juries
- Organizing the Manitoba Book Awards Gala
- Co-ordinating the In Dialogue Reading Series. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Applying for grant funding
- Inviting authors and scheduling readings
- Drawing up a budget
- Arranging for hosting of readings
- Promoting the Book Awards, In Dialogue, and other MWG events through a variety of media
- Working with the Executive Director in the area of communications, including social media updates.
- Creating a bi-weekly e-newsletter.
- Working with the Executive Director to ensure the Burns Family Classroom is functional for various events.
- Communications skills – including articulate verbal skills, excellent writing skills, and familiarity with social media and other web-based communications
- Computer skills – Word processing, basic data entry
- Experience with writing grant applications
- Experience in planning and promoting events
- Ability to think and plan ahead; initiative; adaptability
- Knowledge of Canadian and Manitoban writing and publishing community
- Knowledge of French an asset
- Some lifting required.
Hours and wages:
- Average of 15 hours per week; up to 20 during busy periods
- $15.00 / hour
- Initial contract to run from July 21, 2014 to July 21, 2015, with possibility of renewal. Apply with resume, contact information and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 4, 2014. Please attach all materials as a single .doc, .docx, or .pdf file, and include the subject line “Events Coordinator Application.”
The Manitoba Writers’ Guild thanks all applicants for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
May 28, 2014
Construction Zone Summer Writing and Zine-making Workshop
For more info and registration, please click HERE.
May 14, 2014
Meet and Greet May 15 MWG Offices
Please join the Manitoba Writers’ Guild in welcoming our Disability Project Writer-in-Residence, Kate Grisim, on Thursday, May 15 from 11 am -3 pm at the MWG Office. Light refreshments will be served. Everyone is welcome!
As the MWG Disability Project’s first Writer-in-residence, Kate Grisim will be in the Manitoba Writers’ Guild offices 30 hours a week, working with interested writers who would like some general editing, commenting, or critiquing of their original work. Kate’s area of specialty is writing about experiences of marginalization, but all writers are welcome to visit her and discuss their work.
For more information, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
204-944-8013 or visit www.mbwriter.mb.ca