A Manitoba Writers’ Guild membership is the perfect way to connect with Manitoba’s writing community, meet other writers, and participate in a wide range of programs, workshops and events of interest to writers and readers. You don’t have to be a published writer to join the Guild. Many of our members are just embarking on their writing careers, and others are award-winning authors with extensive publication histories. We include poets and graphic novelists, journalists and non-fiction writers, bloggers and novelists, and all points in between and beyond. Join us, and get involved in your writing community!
Guild members receive reduced rates on workshops and masterclasses, and exclusive access to some of the Guild’s programs (including access to our free Blue Pencil Sessions, and eligibility to apply to the Sheldon Oberman Mentorship Program). Members are also subscribed to our bi-weekly e-Newsletter, full of events, news, markets and contests of interest to writers and readers.
You’ll also receive a free Reader Reward Card from McNally Robinson Booksellers (a $25 value), discounts on subscriptions to Prairie Fire and CV2 Magazines, the opportunity to create your own writer profile on our webpage, and more! A full list of membership benefits can be found below.
Memberships are $60 for one year (the Guild has a fixed membership year, from July 1 – June 30), or $30 for students and those on fixed incomes. If paying by cheque, please fill out our membership form, (available for download here in PDF format) and mail both in to the Guild offices. You can also pay by credit card via the Guild’s secure PayPal account below. (Sorry, we are currently unable to accept payment by credit card over the phone or in person in the Guild offices).
Please note: the Guild has a fixed membership year that runs from July 1 – June 30. If you join the Guild between January 1 and June 30, you are eligible for the reduced membership rate of $30, regardless of your income or student-status.
A full list of benefits enjoyed by Guild members includes:
- Subscription to our bi-weekly e-Newsletter with writing news, contests, markets and more.
- Free Reader Reward Card from McNally Robinson Booksellers (a $25.00 value).
- The opportunity to create your own writer profile on our webpage
- Reduced rates on Guild workshops and programs.
- A quiet space to write – two Writers’ Studios available for rent to members.
- Access to the Manitoba Writers’ Resource Centre and Grier Poetry Library.
- Answers to your questions about writing and publishing.
- Discounts on subscriptions to Prairie Fire and CV2
- Eligibility to apply for the Sheldon Oberman Mentorship Program to work one-on-one for five months with an experienced writer
- Opportunity to have your name on the Guild’s list of experienced writers and editors willing to provide advice and feedback.
- Free ½ hour legal consultation on writing/publishing related issues.
- A discount to membership in the Canadian Freelance Union.
The Manitoba Writers’ Guild is a not-for-profit organization supporting writers, writing, and reading in Manitoba. As always, we appreciate your support!